I'm not going to South Africa. So instead I'm gonna try and watch a bit if not all of every game at work, or at home or in a bar or wherever. On the telly. With a beer. And I'm gonna predict who I think is gonna win. And talk about football stuff. So there.

Monday 5 July 2010

1990 And All That

Watched Gazza's Tears: The Night That Changed Football. Moving stuff. back in the days when our defenders were called Terry and Stuart, not Ashley or Rio. Where we had a player who could take on other players. And a striker who banged in the goals in the big games for his club AND country.

Yes, we only scraped through the group stage, and needed extra time twice to get to the semi-final. But these were players who really wanted to wear the three lions and win for them. Players who shed tears when they were shown the exit. No one cried when we went out this time around. No player. And few fans, I suspect.

Maybe 1990 -2010 will be seen as the high point of popularity for football in England. I think it's all downhill from here, and the current crop / crap of players only have themselves to blame