I'm not going to South Africa. So instead I'm gonna try and watch a bit if not all of every game at work, or at home or in a bar or wherever. On the telly. With a beer. And I'm gonna predict who I think is gonna win. And talk about football stuff. So there.

Sunday 4 July 2010

5th: PARAGUAY

I'm only an armchair fan. How was I to know the Paraguayans would get this far? How was I to know the favourites of their group, Italy, would collapse so spectacularly? Paraguay never looked like winners of the tournament. How could they when none of their strikers managed to score?

But Greece won the 2004 Euros by looking like they weren't going to win them. So after that, it's difficult to rule any team out. But Paraguay are out, despite having a great chance to have their former masters, Spain, sent home in disgrace. A penalty miss away. Like Ghana. Like Japan. All it takes is a kick to decide your fate. And although Paraguay progressed as far as they ever have, they never looked like getting any further. They'll be back next time, I suspect. For more of the same. More so near, yet so far.