I'm not going to South Africa. So instead I'm gonna try and watch a bit if not all of every game at work, or at home or in a bar or wherever. On the telly. With a beer. And I'm gonna predict who I think is gonna win. And talk about football stuff. So there.

Monday 12 July 2010

2nd: HOLLAND

Should have gone each way, shouldn't I? The octopus said it would be Spain and I knew in my heart of hearts that the Spanish were the more deserving team. But had this gone to penalties - which the final was just minutes away from doing - then my prediction could have been realised and my ton won.

Twas not to be. Van Persie was stranded up front throughout this - surely there was a case for Huntelaar to join the fray at some point?

The talk throughout was that this Dutch side wasn't a patch on the runners up of '74 and '78. The purveyors of total football. And even the Van Basten, Gullit, Rijkard era of players could claim to be better than this crop. But this crop made the final after going on an unbeaten run that stretched to over 25 games. And they won all six of their games at this tournament, seeing off Brazil en route.

But to win, all their players needed to be at the top of their game on the day. And none of them really were. Sneijder misplaced too many passes. Kuyt failed to take on enough players. Van Persie failed to stamp his authority on the final third. But it is Robben who will feel he could have and should have won it for his country. And but for the flailing legs of Casillas, maybe he would have.

For Holland, maybe it'll be fourth time lucky. But given there were 32 years between the second and third times, who knows when that fourth chance will be...