I'm not going to South Africa. So instead I'm gonna try and watch a bit if not all of every game at work, or at home or in a bar or wherever. On the telly. With a beer. And I'm gonna predict who I think is gonna win. And talk about football stuff. So there.

Monday 12 July 2010

1st: SPAIN

I didn't think they had it in them. I thought the pressure of being favourites would get to them and that they'd fall early on in the knockout stages. And after their opening game defeat against the Swiss, I allowed myself to feel a little smug at not having joined the throng putting their money on the current European Champions.

But that opening defeat gave all of Spain a swift reality check. This was not going to be a walk in the Durban park, nor a stroll on the Cape Town beach. There was work to be done if they were to fulfill their potential.

And though the Spanish never put any team to the sword the way the Germans did, they always did enough to find the win. Their defence was experienced and understood each other. They knew they had a pair of hands - and as it turned out legs - they could rely on in goal behind them. And they had an embarrassment of talent in midfield to choose from. Fabregas on the bench if you please.

Up front, but out wide, Villa stepped up to the plate while a woefully out of touch Torres struggled on through, regularly being substituted on the hour mark as he failed to make his mark.

The squad was easily the best on show at this tournament. A mixture of experience and flair. All comfortable on the ball. And all deserving of the title World Champions.